Facebook allows its users to add a lot of information about themselves to their profile and the intrinsic function of the site is to bring people together by sharing information. You can use this to help you find someone on Facebook, be it a friend you knew, an old colleague, neighbors, family, etc.
Facebook isn’t the only way to find someone on the Internet. Search engines dedicated to people are also useful, even more so if you do not know the person’s name, have no mutual friends, have blocked you or if you and / or they do not use Facebook.
Search Facebook based on the person’s name
The main search bar at the top of the website is a method of finding people on Facebook based on their name. You can type the person’s name and then filter the results to narrow them down.
Here are some tips to remember when using Facebook’s People Search tool:
- When you search alone people on Facebook, select People to avoid finding company pages, events and other content.
- Use the filters on the left to make the results more relevant. For example, find old classmates on Facebook using their name and filter Instruction (choose your school) or choose a company you worked for from Work to find colleagues with that name.
- It is not necessary to have been associated with the person to identify them on Facebook. Select City for example, for profiles that contain such information.
Search Facebook based on the school they went to
Don’t know the person’s name? You can still perform a Facebook search for someone even if you’re not sure what their name is. Knowing which school they have attended or are currently attending, for example, makes it much easier to find them online.
Search Facebook for the school, then choose People to filter the results based on people on Facebook who have that school listed on their profile. As many users add the school (s) they currently attend or were attending to their profile, finding someone on Facebook suddenly becomes much easier.
Using one of your Facebook friends to find someone else is one of the best ways to find someone if you suspect the person has something to do with one of your existing friends.
For example, if the person worked with you and / or another friend, or if you all attended the same school or lived in the same city, a search for mutual friends is the best way to find them.
There are a few ways to do this:
- Visit a friend’s profile and select the card Friends to see all his friends. You can view and search the full list or read their recently added friends and friends from groups, such as their workplace, hometown or high school.
- Another way to search for a friend of a friend is to browse the page People You May Know which is a list of people you may know based on your Facebook friends.
- Follow step 1 above, but use the filter Friends of friends .
Search for people in public groups
Groups are another way to find people online with Facebook. If you know the person is interested in a particular topic, you can browse the groups they might belong to.
To do this, search for a group from the search bar at the top of Facebook, then select Groups from the menu. Once you are on the group page, open the section Members to find the search bar.
Make sure you select Public groups if you want to be able to see its members (closed groups require you to be a member to see other people who have joined).
Search Facebook by phone number
Are you trying to figure out who has a phone number that called you? Facebook can also be used for a reverse numerical search; just type the number in the search bar to see what is displayed.
You are unlikely to find public posts that contain the person’s phone number, but you may be lucky enough to find an old post written by one of your Facebook friends. This is an easy way to find an old friend’s phone number.
Use Facebook to search for related information
Another thing you can do is use Facebook to find someone else’s presence on the internet. You would do this if you already have their information on Facebook, but you also want the details of their other social media accounts, such as seeing if they also have Twitter, Pinterest, online dating profiles, etc.
Each Facebook profile has a unique username at the end of its URL. Search Google or another search engine for that username to see if other accounts appear.
Another idea is to perform a reverse image search on a photo from the person’s profile. It can be their profile picture or any other picture from their account. If they’ve posted the exact same image elsewhere, you may be able to track down their other accounts online. Websites like Google Images And TinEye they are great for that.