Yours Apple Watch includes a complication called AQI, which reports the air quality index for your location.
It is easy to add this complication to many dials so you can keep an eye on local air quality at a glance.
What is AQI on a Apple Watch and how it is measured
The Air Quality Index is a standard way of reporting air quality used by many government agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency in the United States. It is a numerical scale ranging from 0 to 500, where the lower the number, the better the air quality.
The EPA calculates the AQI based on five major air pollutants: ozone, particulate matter, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide.
Here are the main categories of AQI according to the EPA:
- 0 to 50 . Air quality is considered “good” and air pollution is “little or no risk”. This is color coded green.
- 51 to 100 . The air quality is “moderate” and “there may be a moderate health problem for a very limited number of people”. This is the coded yellow color.
- 101 to 150 . This range is “unhealthy for sensitive groups”. The EPA states that people with lung disease, the elderly and children may be at increased risk from ozone exposure. People with heart and lung disease may be at increased risk from the presence of particles in the air. This is a coded orange color.
- 151 to 200 . This is “unhealthy” and everyone can experience negative health effects. This is the coded red color.
- 201 to 300 . “Very unhealthy.” This level would trigger a health warning. This is the coded purple color.
- From 301 to 500 . The EPA calls it “dangerous” and considers this level an emergency. It is reddish brown in color.
How to use the AQI complication on your Apple Watch
If you choose a clock face with the AQI complication, you can see the AQI number at a glance.
To get more information, tap on the complication and you will see the AQI, the description (such as “Good” or “Moderate”) and where your AQI falls on a green to brown color scale.
For information on how to add an AQI complication to yours clock read our article here.