One of the best parts of the game is having fun with your friends. If you want to add your friends on Steam, here’s what you need to do.
You’ve found the perfect group to play co-op games together on Steam, but how do you make sure you can join them in another game?
Steam allows you to create a friends list, allowing you to play your favorite games with the people you enjoy the most with. There are a few ways to find the people you want to play with, so let’s take a look at how to add friends on Steam.
The Steam Friends List
Once friends are added to the Steam gaming platform, a new multiplayer gaming world opens up. You can invite them to your online games, collaborate with them in multiplayer areas and more.
You can see what games your friends are playing, make voice and text calls from your computer or phone, or even send them games as gifts. Maybe you want to take advantage of Steam’s family library sharing system, allowing your friends and family to enjoy the games you’ve acquired over the years.
You can even link your Steam account to Discord, allowing your connections to see game status. First, though, you’ll need to add friends on Steam.
How to add a friend on Steam
The first way to find Steam friends is to add people you know. You can do this with a friend code or using the quick invite system.
Use of Steam Friend Codes
To add Steam friends using a friend code:
- Open the app Steam on your PC or Mac.
- Select Friends from the toolbar at the top of the app (on Windows) or from the menu bar (Mac).
- click on Add a friend .
- Copy yours friend code and send it to your friend via SMS or email. They will need to know how to add it.
- If you have a friend code for them, enter it in the field below yours and click Send invitation .
Using quick invitations
If you’d rather give them a quick invite, you can too. Your link Quick invitation it can only be used once and expires after 30 days.
- From the page Add a friend in Steam, search Or send a quick invite .
- Click Copy next to your link.
- Paste the link in an email or text message to your friend.
- If you need a new link, click on Generate a new link under the existing one.
Looking for Steam Friends
You can also search for your friend. This is great if you know their name or profile name, but no other contact information. For example, this is how you’ll find that casual, yet perfect, playmate you found in the Team Fortress public lobby.
To do it:
- On the page Add a friend scroll down until you see Or try looking for your friend .
- Type your friend’s full name or username, then click the magnifying glass.
- When you find the person you want to add, click Add as a friend .
How to add a friend you met via Steam
Finally, some games use Steam’s matchmaking technology. After playing a game with someone using Steam matchmaking, you can find that person and add them to your friends list.
To add a friend created on Steam:
- On the page Add a friend click Recently played with .
- Steam will show your game history, including who you have played with.
- Find the person you want to add as a friend and click the button Add as a friend .
Using the friends window in Steam
Steam also has a friends window, a popup that you can open alongside the main application. Here you can view your friends online, accept incoming requests, chat or add new friends.
To use the friends window on Steam:
- Select Friends from the Steam app, in the toolbar (Windows) or in the menu bar (Mac).
- click on View friends list .
- To add a friend, click the silhouette icon of a person with a plus sign.
If you right-click on a friend in this window, you can send them a message, start a voice chat, view their profile, and more.
How to accept invitations from friends on Steam
If someone adds you as a friend on Steam, you can find their invitation in one of two places. The floating friends window, for example, has an icon that will show pending invitations. It is located right next to the icon Add friends with the appearance of a person waving his hand.
The main Steam window has its place for pending invitations. After opening the page Add a friend click Pending invitations .
You will see all pending invitations from others here. You can also cancel the invitations you have sent if you wish.
What if i can’t find a friend on Steam?
If you’ve tried searching for your friend and don’t have any pending invitations, there are a couple of things to check.
- Make sure you have the friend code right . Ask them to use the blue button Copy or do it yourself.
- If you are using a link Quick invitation , it may have expired. Either you or your friend can generate a new one and try it out.
- If you are searching by name, try different spellings of their name or combine their profile name with part of their real name.
For example, you could try both “Jeff” and “Jeffery” if you want to find someone with that name. If you know someone’s profile name but it returns hundreds or thousands of results, you can try adding the first or last name to the search string.
Finally, make sure you haven’t accidentally blocked the person you want to add as a friend. From the side menu, click Blocked and you can see all the players you have blocked.
The game is meant to be a community
While playing alone can definitely be fun, it’s even better when you have a community of other players to play with. This is part of the appeal of platforms like Twitch, which allows you to see how others play and possibly join them.
Random games can only go so far. If you often play with casual players, you may encounter more frustration than you want to deal with on a regular basis.
This is one of the reasons why Steam offers the friend list feature. Make the most of it, share your games and enjoy your downtime.