Some messages shouldn’t last forever. There are some Telegram groups and conversations where it is best if messages are automatically deleted in a day or a week. Here’s how to automatically delete messages in any Telegram chat.
You can enable the auto-delete feature on a per-chat basis. It works for both individual conversations and group chats. Previously, you had to use the Secret Chat feature to automatically delete messages after a set amount of time.
At the time of writing, you can choose to automatically delete messages after a day or a week. Telegram starts the timer once they have been sent, not after they have been read. This will not affect any messages sent before enabling the feature.
The process for enabling the auto-delete feature is different on Android and iPhone, so we’ll cover both methods below.
Automatically delete messages in Telegram for Android
You can enable the automatic deletion feature from the “Clear history” menu in Telegram for Android. To get started, open the Telegram app on your Android smartphone and select the conversation in which you want to enable the feature.
Next, tap on the three-dot menu button located in the top right corner.
Here, choose the “Clear History” option.
Scroll down and you’ll see a new auto-delete section. Here, choose between the “24 hours” and “7 days” options and tap the “Enable Auto Delete” button to enable the feature.
Telegram will now automatically delete all messages from the conversation after the set time (including media).
If you want to disable the feature, go back to the “Clear history” menu in the conversation. Choose the “Off” option, then tap the “Confirm” button.
Automatically delete messages in Telegram for iPhone
The process of enabling the auto-delete feature is really hidden in the app Telegram for iPhone. First, go to the conversation where you want to enable the feature.
- Touch and hold a message.
- From the context menu that appears, choose the “Select” option.
- At the top of the screen, tap the “Clear Chat” button.
- From the pop-up message, choose the “Enable automatic deletion” option.
- A new “Auto Clear” screen will load. Here you can choose the time period “After 1 day” or “After 1 week”. Tap the “Finish” button to proceed.
- Telegram will now automatically delete messages older than the set time period.
- If you want to change or disable the feature, tap the time period icon from the text box in the conversation.
- Here, switch to the “Never” option to disable the feature, then tap the “Done” button to save the setting.