Google Meet has become more popular than ever for everything from corporate meetings to elementary school classes. The wallpaper change option is a great way to hide your messy bedroom or home office and replace it with a more fun image.
While this is a basic option offered through Google Meet itself, there are some prerequisites for using it :
- If you use Google Meet on an iOS device, you must have an iPhone 6s or later, with iOS 12 or later.
- If you are using Google Meet on an Android, your device must have Android version P or later, 3GB of RAM, at least 4 CPU cores, at least 1.6GHz CPU clock speed, and ARM64 architecture.
- If you use Google Meet on a Mac, you can only access the “change wallpaper” option in Chrome.
- If you use Google Meet on Windows, MacOS, or Linux, your Chrome version must be M84 or later.
- If you are using Google Meet on Chrome OS, your Chrome version must be M86 or later.
If you don’t have the ability to change the wallpaper on Google Meet, check which version of Chrome you are using to see if this is the problem.
How to change the background on Google Meet before joining the meeting
You can change the background before joining Google Meeting, before anyone can see their surroundings.
1. You open Google Meet and join the meeting.
2. In the lower right corner of your personal view, click the “Change Background” icon. It is what looks like a head with lines behind it.
3. In the displayed “Change Wallpaper” menu, a series of background options will appear.
- To blur the background, select the second or third square (each containing an icon of a person surrounded by dots).
- To upload your background image, click on the square with the plus “+” icon. This will open access to your computer’s files. From there, simply find the file you want to upload and click on it.
- You can also select an image from the Google Meet stock background image library – click the square of the image you want to use.
- After selecting a background image, you can click on the first square (containing a circle with a line through it) to cancel any background selections you have made.
4. Any icon you click will automatically change the background.
How to change the background on Google Meet after joining the meeting
You can also change the background on Google Meet after joining the meeting by accessing the exact same menu.
1. Click on the three vertical dots in the lower right corner.
2. Scroll up to “Change Wallpaper”.
3. A sidebar menu will appear to change the wallpaper during the call.