Creating a free Gmail account will allow you to have access to all Google products. This includes cloud storage, an email service, an online office suite, and more.
Here’s how to create a Gmail account on desktop or mobile.
Note: if you want to create email addresses that use your own domain, use Google Workspace instead.
What are the benefits of having a Gmail account?
A Gmail account is a Google account that gives you access to everything the company offers. You can use the Gmail email service, upload files to Google Drive, and create documents, spreadsheets, presentations and websites in Google’s online office suite. You can even set up your Android phone with your Gmail account.
By default, a Gmail account gives you 15GB of free storage. You can use this storage on Documents, Drive, Photos and Gmail. If you run out of storage in your account, you can upgrade the storage with a paid plan.
How to create a Gmail account
Creating a new Gmail account is free, easy, and only takes a few minutes. You can do this on both desktop and mobile devices.
To get started, first open a web browser on your device and launch the Gmail site. On the desktop, in the upper right corner of the site, click “Create an account”. On mobile, you may see a “Get Gmail” button at the bottom of the screen instead.
A “Create your Google account” page will open. Here, enter the information as follows:
- First name : Enter your name here.
- Last name : enter your surname here.
- Username : enter the email address you wish to have. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Password – Type a strong password for your Gmail account. You will use this password to log into your account.
- Confirmation : Enter the same password as above.
Then, at the bottom, click “Next”.
A “Welcome to Google” page will appear. On this page, enter the details as follows:
- Telephone number (optional): Enter your phone number here. Google will use it to help you log into your account if you ever lose access.
- Recovery email address (optional): Type in a secondary email address, if you have one. Again, Google will use this to help you recover your account when prompted.
- Your birthday – Use the drop-down menus to enter your birthday.
- Sex : Select your gender from this drop-down menu.
Finally, at the bottom, click “Next”.
Google will open a “Privacy and terms” page. Read the terms on this page carefully, then scroll down and click “Agree” to proceed.
Your account is now created and Google will take you to the main Gmail screen. There you will see your first email coming in from Google.
And that’s how you create your first Gmail account. You can now use this account to sign in to various Google services, including Drive, Maps, Docs, Android, and others.
What to do after creating a Gmail account
There are a few things you may want to do after setting up your Gmail account.
The first is to add your contacts to Gmail. This way, the people you want to keep in touch with are easily available in your email service. Secondly, if you’re using an email client like Outlook, you might want to set it up to use your new email account.
If you are using an Android phone to which a Gmail account has already been added, you can still add this additional email account. If you are replacing your Gmail address with this, you can also delete your old Google account. And last but not least, follow a few tips to make sure your Gmail account is safe.