The cross-platform chat app Telegram has seen a surge in popularity amid concerns over data sharing about its Facebook-owned competitor WhatsApp. And while Telegram isn’t entirely safe, many users trust other similar apps.
You can easily create a Telegram account for free; all you need is an Android or iOS device with a working phone number to get started.
Once registered, you will also be able to access Telegram’s web and desktop apps, where you can send and receive messages from your browser, desktop, laptop or tablet. You won’t have to provide any additional information when you log into those apps, but you should still have your phone handy.
Here’s how to create a Telegram account on your mobile device and log into the Telegram desktop or browser-based web app.
How to create a Telegram account on the mobile app
2. Launch the Telegram app and tap “Start Messages”.
3. Enter your phone number, including the country code. On an iPhone, tap “Next” and on an Android, tap the blue arrow to continue.
4. Telegram will send you an SMS to verify that the phone number belongs to you. Check your messages, then copy and enter the code in the app and tap “Next” or the blue arrow.
5. Enter your first name, last name and add a profile picture if you wish. You don’t have to enter your real name or give a real picture of yourself. Tap “Next” or the blue arrow when done.
After registering, Telegram will ask you for permission to access your contacts and call log, as well as to make and receive calls using your phone. You can grant or restrict these permissions as you like.
1. Open the browser of your choice and go to desktop.telegram.org to download the desktop app for your operating system.
2. Launch the Telegram desktop app, then select “Start Messages”.
3. A QR code will appear on the screen. To activate it, open the Telegram app on your phone and go to “Settings”, then tap “Devices”.
4 . Tap “Scan QR Code” and hold the camera close to the QR code in the desktop app.
5. After scanning the code, you will log into your account. Now you can start chatting in Telegram on the desktop app.
If you prefer not to use the app, you can also visit web.telegram.org for an entirely browser-based experience. To log in here, enter the phone number linked to your account, then enter the code that is sent to your phone. You will be immediately connected to your Telegram account.