Sometimes, after listing an item on eBay, you may want to end the listing early. While this is usually not a good idea as it can lead to disappointed customers (and possibly even penalties on your account), there are some circumstances where it needs to be done. This lesson will explain when it’s possible to prematurely remove an item from eBay, what happens when you do, and how the process actually works.
When can I close an eBay listing early and what happens when I do?
There are two general reasons why you may be allowed to delete an eBay listing before it expires:
- The advertised item is broken, lost or otherwise unsuitable / unavailable for sale.
- You made a mistake while creating your listing, such as entering an incorrect opening bid, sale price, or reserve price.
Generally, there are no restrictions on early closing of a “fixed price” listing. However, there are restrictions on closing an auction-style listing early, depending on how much time is left in the listing and whether or not bids have been placed on your item.
If your auction-style listing has 12 hours or more remaining:
- If there are no current bids for your item, you can delete the listing without restrictions.
- If your item currently has one or more bids on it, you can end the auction early and sell your item to the current highest bidder.
- If your item currently has one or more bids on it, you can cancel all bids on your item at once and end the listing early. However, if this is not the first time you have done this during the current calendar year, you will have to pay a commission equal to the commission on the final value that you would have had to incur if the auction had ended naturally and you had sold your item at the current highest bidder.
If your auction-style listing has less than 12 hours remaining:
- If there are currently no bids for your item and you have not manually blocked any bids for it, you can cancel the listing without restrictions.
- If your item currently has one or more bids on it, you can drop the bid early and choose to sell your item to the current highest bidder.
- If there are no current bids for your item because you blocked them all manually, you cannot end the auction early.
- If your item currently has one or more bids on it, but the highest bid isn’t enough to meet your reserve price (if you’ve set one), you can’t end your listing early.
These are the rules for when you can or can’t delete an ad early and the potential conditions for doing so. We will now explain with step-by-step instructions how the process actually works.
To remove a listed item from eBay:
- Navigate up www.ebay.com in your web browser and log into your account there.
- Move the mouse cursor over The my eBay in the upper right corner of the home page. A drop-down menu will appear, from which you will need to select Sale .
- In the “Sell” menu on the left side of the “Activities” page, click Active to see all the items you are currently selling. Then, find the listing you want to cancel, click the checkbox next to it to select it, then click end (or click Other actions next to the item and then click End element ). Note that you may be asked to provide your account login credentials again; to do so.
- If the item you are trying to delete is an “auction-style” listing on which bids have already been made, you must choose how you want to handle the deletion of the listing on the next page. Click on Cancel offers and the list relating to early if you want to delete all bids on your item and remove it from eBay without selling to you can click Sell High-bidder item if you want to finish the list but still get some money out of it by selling your item to the current highest bidder. Note that if your listing expires in less than 12 hours, it will only the latter option. If you are looking to cancel a “fixed price” listing or an “auction style” listing that currently has no bids for it, you will skip this step.
- On the next page, you need to choose a reason why you want to delete your ad. This reason will appear on the “Article removed” page if someone tries to find your ad after canceling it. Click the button next to the reason that best matches why you want your item removed from eBay, then click End my listing .
These are the basics of canceling an eBay listing! Remember, though, to only delete a listing when it’s really necessary. Doing this too often will frustrate your customers and may even cause eBay to limit your selling privileges. It might be a better idea to just review the list or add a note. We will talk about this in our next tutorial on how to manage your eBay listings.