Do you want to sing out loud with socially distant friends? It’s easy if you learn how to karaoke on Zoom.
Everyone uses Zoom, one of the best video chat apps, as they continue to stay home during the pandemic. Many of them use the program for business meetings or personal calls with friends and family, but it’s easy enough to adapt Zoom for karaoke purposes.
Zooming is a great way to bring a group of people together in a video conference, and many people prefer it over various Zoom alternatives since you can see everyone in the gallery view (up to 49 participants on one screen). The Brady Bunch-like grid format is perfect for a virtual karaoke session, since you can see singers and audience members at the same time. Just make sure you remind people to mute when there is a lot of background noise.
Here is our guide for Zoom karaoke.
How to karaoke on Zoom with Watch2Gether: create rooms
The first thing you need to do is download the Zoom desktop client for Mac or Windows. Then, set up a Zoom meeting and save the link for later.
( NOTE : Free Zoom meetings have a time limit of 40 minutes for three or more participants. Check out their upgrade plans and pricing. )
The second thing you need to do is create a room on Watch2Gether. What is Watch2Gether? It is a free social video website that allows you to watch videos and other content in sync with others. This way, all members of your karaoke group can watch the same videos with YouTube or Vimeo lyrics at the same time.
Create a Watch2Gether room and save the link for later.
( NOTE : Watch2Gether rooms are temporary and are deleted after 24 hours. To save a room, all you need to do is sign up for a free Watch2Gether account.)
How to do karaoke on Zoom: invite friends
Send a karaoke party invitation to your friends. Ideally, this invitation should include instructions on using Zoom and Watch2Gether. Here are the steps I sent to my group:
- Take part in this Zoom Meeting (so we can see and hear each other): [ Zoom meeting link ]
- Join this Watch2Gether room (so we can watch the same karaoke videos at the same time): [ Link alla stanza Watch2Gether ]
- At the top of the Watch2Gether room is a search bar. Type in the song title and select one of the results displayed below the playback window. Add it to the queue by clicking on the + symbol.
- When your song comes out, sing!
How to do karaoke with zoom: tips and tricks
Having done Zoom karaoke with my friends, I can offer some tips on how to make the event a little more fluid.
- When joining the Watch2Gether room, be sure to update your name on your icon (the leftmost in the list at the bottom of the screen). The room keeps track of who does what.
- Make sure to turn up the computer volume and Watch2Gether playback video volume to maximum.
- The singer (or lead singer if it is a group number) should be the only person who has audio on for Watch2Gether’s playback video. Everyone else should turn off the video. This helps if the playback is slightly out of sync for different people.
- Try searching for the song title plus the word “karaoke” to find the best videos with lyrics (example: “Sweet Caroline karaoke”).
- When selecting a search result, be sure to click the + sign and not the thumbnail, otherwise your video will play immediately. (Skipping the line is a bad karaoke etiquette.)
- The host should take care of queuing and make sure everyone has a turn before singing again.
Otherwise, treat Zoom karaoke like you would regular in-person karaoke. He sings duets and group numbers. Add sound effects with tambourines, shakers, bongos, or other instruments you have around the house. Try themed rides based on genres (90s boy bands, country, yacht rock) or titles (songs with names, numbers, colors, etc.).
And sing out loud.
Other applications Zoom
With more people using Zoom than ever before, we’ve put together a general guide on how to use Zoom and more specific detailed guides on how to set up a Zoom meeting, how to join a Zoom meeting, how to see everyone on Zoom, how to share your screen, and how chat about Zoom. And, if you want to mix things up, you can also learn how to change the Zoom’s background to look like you’re on a tropical beach or in space.