“Minecraft” – and in particular the original edition and adapted to the “Java” modes – is a game that offers its players almost unlimited creativity. No two worlds are alike and starting a new one can sometimes seem like a daunting task.
Fortunately, you don’t have to start from scratch. Thanks to a benevolent community eager to showcase their masterpieces, you can download an expert-level Minecraft map and start playing right away.
And these downloadable maps are often more than just models – they can offer adventurous puzzles, scary horror experiences, treasure hunts, multiplayer games, and more. As long as the map you download is compatible with the version of Minecraft you are running, virtually every theme and map type imaginable is at your fingertips.
Here’s where you can find awesome custom maps and how to add them to your list of playable Minecraft worlds.
How to download a “Minecraft” map and add it to your game
1. When you find a map you want to download that is compatible with the version of Java you are running, download, unzip and drag the file to your desktop (or to any location on your computer that you can quickly find).
2. Next, you will find and open your Minecraft folder. If your Minecraft folder is saved in the default location for your device, you can find it:
- Windows: press Windows key + R to open the Run menu. In the text field, enter “% appdata% \. Minecraft” and press Enter.
- Mac: open a Finder window and click “Go” at the top of the screen, then click “Go to Folder”. In the pop-up that appears, enter “~ / Library / ApplicationSupport / minecraft” and press “Go”.
- Linux: in your Home directory, Minecraft is located in “/ home / YOUR NAME / .minecraft /”.
3. In the Minecraft folder, find the “saves” folder. When you open it, you will see the names of all your existing worlds.
4. Grab the map you downloaded and drag the file to the Minecraft “saves” folder. Make sure you drag the entire folder for the map download file and not just the contents inside the folder.
5. Open Minecraft Launcher and start “Minecraft”.
6. Select “Single Player”, find your new map and click “Play Selected World”.
From here, get ready for the exquisitely cultivated world you are about to be loaded into – just make sure you give credit to real world creator when your multiplayer friends compliment your world.