Snapchat is one of the most unique and engaging social media platforms around.
The premise is simple: post photos and videos that expire within 24 hours, or send them privately to a contact and they will expire after viewing.
Additionally, the service offers lots of fun filters to enhance your posts, from dog ears to floating hearts, and even geotag to commemorate special events or places you visit.
It’s no wonder that Snapchat has over 190 million users around the world every single day.
If you use Snapchat on your iPhone or Android, chances are you’ve added your friends, family, and maybe even your romantic partner as a contact.
But what if you want to find someone you just met on the net or even follow a celebrity you think might have a Snapchat account?
How to find someone on Snapchat
Finding people on Snapchat is easy and can be done in three different ways on your iPhone or Android.
Here’s everything you need to know to find someone on Snapchat:
How to sync phone contacts with Snapchat
1. On your phone’s home screen, locate and tap the Snapchat icon to open the app.
2. In the upper left corner of the screen, tap your profile icon, which may look like a Bitmoji.
3. Just below your profile information, tap the “Find Friends on Snapchat” button, which will take you to sync your phone contacts with the Snapchat app.
4. Next, you will be asked to confirm that you want to find your friends by syncing your contacts. Click the blue Continue button to proceed.
5. A pop-up will appear asking Snapchat to access your contacts. Press “OK” to allow this.
6. Once your contacts have been synced, anyone with a Snapchat account will appear in the form of a list. To add an account, tap + Add next to the name. Note that all your contacts who are not on Snapchat can be invited by tapping the + Invite button next to their name.
How to search for a user by Snapchat username
1. Tap the Snapchat icon on the phone home screen to launch the app.
2. In the search bar at the top of the screen, type the username of the person you are trying to locate.
3. Usernames that match or are close to your search will automatically appear below. Once you’ve found the person you’re looking for, tap the + Add button next to their name to add that person.
How to scan a user’s Snapcode
Each Snapchat user has a unique Snapcode, which is basically a QR code that can be scanned in the app to find that user and add them instantly.
If you are with someone or have access to their Snapcode and want to add it, here’s how to do it.
1. Open Snapchat by tapping the app icon on your phone’s home screen.
2. Once in Snapchat, go to camera mode (the screen that shows the camera for taking photos or videos).
3. Ask the user to open the Snapchat app and find their Snapcode by tapping the profile icon in the top left corner of the app. The yellow box with the dots and their icon is their Snapcode.
4. Point the camera at the user’s Snapcode and touch and hold the screen for a few seconds before letting go. The camera should automatically scan the Snapcode and locate their account.
5. Tap Add Friend to add the person to your Snapchat contact list.
It should be noted that you don’t necessarily have to be with someone to scan their Snapcode. A screenshot or photo of their Snapcode can also be scanned from your phone to locate their Snapchat account.