Snapchat is a fun social media app used primarily for sharing photos. Popular for the effects you can apply to your images, Snapchat is a great way to manipulate your images with whimsical effects.
Snapchat is available for iOS and Android.
Here are some ways you can apply effects to your photos using Snapchat:
- You can use lenses to add effects (like a dog’s face)
- Filters allow you to add colorful tints to photos and decorate images with custom backgrounds
- You can add text, stickers and emojis to your images
Launch Snapchat and let’s get started.
How to use Snapchat lenses
If you have friends who use Snapchat, you’ve probably seen a familiar face turned into an adorable dog. It’s fun to turn into a friendly puppy with a playful tongue and adorable ears. You make it with Snapchat lenses.
Follow these steps to use the lenses:
- Switch the camera to selfie mode.
- Take a picture. Wait for the white mapping to appear on your face.
- Once recognized, scroll through the circular icons at the bottom.
- Choose your favorite lens.
- Follow the instructions provided. Some lenses direct you to do things like “raise your eyebrows”. This usually adds an included effect with a particular lens.
Snapchat is constantly changing its lenses. Don’t be surprised to see new lenses come and go regularly.
How to use Snapchat filters
Snapchat also offers filters for your photos. These overlay your photos with tints and other words. Many of the options use your phone’s location to offer geographically appropriate wallpapers. Here is an example from Indianapolis.
To use Snapchat filters, follow these simple steps:
- Take a picture using one of the two cameras.
- Swipe left or right through the filter options.
- Choose your favorite filter.
- If you want to save the photo, select the icon Save in the lower left corner.
How to add text, stickers and emojis in Snapchat
The fun of Snapchat comes from being able to edit your photos to fit your personality. This wouldn’t be complete without the ability to add text, stickers, and emojis. You can do this using the icons on the right side of the screen.
Take a picture with one of the phone’s cameras. A column of options will appear on the right side. Use this column to add effects to your photos. Here are your options:
- Select the T icon in the upper right corner to enter the text: type the text and choose Done when you have finished.
- Tap the pencil to write on your image: this allows you to use your finger to add hand drawings to the top of your photo. Adjust the color on the color palette or add a sticker by selecting the heart at the bottom of the palette.
- Choose the stickers button to add stickers: this gives you a wide variety of emojis and other graphics to add to your image. Make your selection from the options.
- Use the scissors icon to make stickers from the images in your photo: touch the scissors. Then use your finger to surround the image you want to duplicate. Snapchat creates your duplicate sticker and you can reposition it in your photo as needed.
- The Paperclip icon allows you to attach a website to your Snap: type the URL to select your site. The Snap recipient will see an arrow down. Once selected, the recipient will see the attached website.
- Choose the Alarm icon to choose how long friends can see your Snaps: choose between one and ten seconds or the infinity symbol.