Google Photos allows you to save and browse the images you capture on your phone. But the only important thing we didn’t have was an option to hide or lock photos in Google Photos. Well now you do. Now you can hide photos in Google Photos and even lock photos in the Google Photos app.
Here, we see how to hide and lock photos in the Google Photos app to protect your private photos.
Set up your Google Photos Photos private folder
If you own a Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, or Pixel 5, you can start using the pinned folder on Google Photos right away. Google Photos Rival Locked Folder feature will roll out to multiple Android phones first.
To hide and lock photos in Google Photos, you need to set up the locked folder first. There isn’t much to set up, though. Follow the simple steps below to learn how to lock your photos.
- Launch the Google Photos app, of course.
- Go to the card Bookshelf from the bar at the bottom.
- Select the section Utility up.
- Touch It begins on the tab that prompts you to configure the Locked Folder feature.
- If you don’t see the card, scroll down and select Folder locked .
- On the next page, tap the button Set locked folder .
- Enter your PIN, password or fingerprint ID to enable the feature.
Hide and lock photos in Google Photos
After setting the locked folder, you are ready to hide and lock your photos. There are several ways to do this. The simplest at this point would be to tap the Add Photos icon at the top and select the photos. Here are two more ways that will be more convenient when you are not already inside the locked folder.
While browsing the photos
When you are browsing your photos and find one or more that you want to hide, follow the steps below.
- Long press on the photo you want to hide.
- Tap and select any other photos you want to hide.
- Tap the three-dot overflow menu button in the top right.
- Select Move to locked folder
The selected photos will then be removed from the Google Photos library and hidden in the locked folder, behind the lock of course.
When taking pictures
What if you can hide the photos you take on your phone? Yes, you can capture and save photos directly to your Google Photos private folder It would be unnecessarily tedious to take the photo, go to the Photos app and then lock it. You can save several steps by directly saving the photo in the protected folder.
- Open the Pixel Camera app.
- Tap the Folder icon in the top right corner.
- Select Folder locked between the two available options.
- Take your photos or even your videos.
Any photos or videos shot with the selected protected folder as the destination will be saved directly into it and will not appear in the Google Photos library.
It is worth noting that the photos or videos inside the Google Photos private folder are not available on any other device and not even with Google. These files are stored locally on the device. Therefore, Google will not use them and cannot use them to create memories either. In addition, Google will also remove them from existing memories when you hide photos on Google Photos.