Google Maps has made it so easy to navigate that it has become an indispensable tool for getting around the city.
Finding almost any address is as easy as typing them into the search box, but there are times when it doesn’t work.
If the location you’re trying to go to doesn’t have an address or the address is wrong, you might want to put a pin on the map instead. Likewise, if you don’t know the exact address, it might be okay to just leave a pin nearby.
It’s a simple process on both a desktop computer and your mobile device.
Put a pin on your iPhone or Android phone
The procedure for releasing a pin on the Google Maps mobile app is the same no matter which phone you use.
1. Open the Google Maps app.
2. Find the location on the map where you want to place the pin and zoom in as much as needed to see it clearly.
3. Touch and hold where you want to insert a pin until the pin appears under your finger.
Now you can use the pin. For example, you can tap Directions to get directions from your current location to the released pin.
If you prefer, you can save this pin for later. To do this, tap “Label” from the oval options on the pin and give it a name. Afterwards, you will always be able to find it in Your Places. (Note that the Android and iPhone versions of Google Maps work a little differently. Both apps allow you to save and label released pins, but to see the Label button on Android, tap the information box at the bottom of the screen to see all your options.)
Put a pin on the desktop
1. Open Google Maps on your computer.
2. Zoom in and pan around the map until you find the location where you want to drop the pin.
3. Click where you want to drop the placeholder. You should see a small gray pin appear and an information box will appear at the bottom of the screen.
Now it’s time to use the pin. If you click the blue Navigate icon in the information box, Google Maps will open the navigation page. You can enter the place of departure and get driving directions. Alternatively, you can click anywhere else in the information box to display a box with more information about the selected location.
From here, you can click the Save icon to add this location to Your Places, so you can quickly access it in the future.
Remember that you can only enter one pin at a time in Google Maps; if you click or tap a second time, the new pin replaces the old one. And to save a dropped pin in Your Places, you need to be logged in to your Google account.