Do you find yourself turning on your Windows 10 PC screen too often? You can prevent the screen from turning off completely. You can select different preferences for when your PC is running on battery and also when it is connected to a power source.
If you have a portable device like a laptop or tablet, you can decide how the screen behaves while on battery power or plugged in. Desktops only have the link option. The duration of the screen timeout can range from two minutes to five hours.
- First, click on the Start menu and select the gear icon to open the Settings. (You can also open the window by pressing Windows + i.)
- Then, select “System” from the Settings window.
- Select “Power & Sleep” from the sidebar.
- If you are using a desktop, you will see a drop-down menu for “When connected” in both “Display” and “Hibernate”. If you are using a laptop or tablet, you will see a second drop-down menu for “Battery Power”.
- To control when the screen turns off, select a drop-down menu under “Display”.
- Select “Never” from the menu to prevent Windows from turning off the screen.
That’s all! For best results, we recommend that you keep the screen on only when plugged into a power outlet. If you do it on battery power, you will quickly drain the battery. However, the choice is yours!
Note: if your PC is set for automatic sleep, the display will also turn off when it enters sleep mode. You can also check when your PC goes to sleep from this screen.