Regularly cleaning your Apple Watch, particularly after it has been exposed to sweat, soap and sunscreen, along with virtually any liquid other than water, is both important for your comfort (a clean band reduces the chances of skin irritation. ) and for the long-term of your device.
Here’s how it’s done.
How to clean your Apple Watch
Note that Apple does not recommend using soaps, cleaning products, abrasive materials, or external sources of air and heat to clean the Apple Watch, as these can damage the device.
1. Turn off your Apple Watch by pressing and holding the side button and remove it from the charger if connected.
2. If you are using a non-water resistant band (such as a stainless steel or leather band), remove it from the device.
3. Wipe your Apple Watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth to clean it. If necessary, you can lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water to remove oily or sticky substances.
4. You can also hold the watch under a lightly running tap of warm, cool water for 10-15 seconds, but do not use soap or other cleaning products.
5. Dry your Apple Watch with a soft, lint-free cloth, making sure to dry the rear window of the device as well.
How to clean the Apple Watch band
1. Remove the band from the Apple Watch. If you are using a third-party (non-Apple branded) band, follow the care instructions provided with that particular band.
2. For leather bands, clean the leather parts with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth. If necessary, you can lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water to remove oily or sticky substances. Do not immerse in water.
3. Allow the leather band to air dry completely before reattaching it to the Apple Watch. While drying, do not store these bands in direct sunlight or in areas of high temperature or humidity.
4. For all other bands, buckles and clasps, clean the band with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth lightly moistened with fresh water (if necessary).
5. Dry the band before reattaching it to the watch.
How to clean the Apple Watch digital crown
If the digital crown on the side of the Apple Watch freezes or won’t move, check for debris around the crown and clean the device.
If you find things like powder or lotions, here’s how you can clean the Digital Crown:
1. Turn off the Apple Watch and remove it from the charger if connected.
2. If you are using a non-water resistant band, remove it from the device.
3. Hold the Digital Crown under fresh, warm water for 10-15 seconds. Do not use soap or other cleaning products.
4. Rotate and push the digital crown as the water flows past the space between the crown and the rest of the watch.
5. Dry the watch thoroughly using a soft, lint-free cloth.