If you use WhatsApp, you may be wondering how to recover your deleted WhatsApp messages. The app provides a way to do this, but only by restoring your information from a backup.
The process will depend on the type of phone you are using and where the backup data has been stored. Here’s how to do it on Android or iPhone.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android
Again, you must have already backed up your WhatsApp messages for this to work. If you reinstall the app without any previous backup from Google Drive, however, WhatsApp will attempt to restore it automatically from the local backup file.
From a Google Drive backup:
1. Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
2. Open the app and verify your number.
3. Touch Reset .
4. To select After you .
Your chats will then be displayed once the initialization process is complete. After that, WhatsApp will start restoring the media files.
From a local backup
If you have an Android and have backed up your WhatsApp account to your phone’s local backup, here’s how to restore deleted messages.
1. Go to yours File Manager .
2. Go to the WhatsApp folder and then tap Database .
3. Choose the file named msgstore.db.crypt12 .
4. Rename it to msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12 .
5. Select the backup with the most recent date and rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12 .
6. Open the Google Drive app, tap the three line icon and touch Backup .
7. Delete the WhatsApp backup in the backups folder.
8. Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
9. Open the app and verify your phone number.
10. Touch Reset .
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone
As with Android, you need a backup to recover your messages on an iPhone, although unlike Android, this backup will have been done via iCloud.
1. Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your phone.
2. Open the app and verify your phone number.
3. Touch Reset to initiate the process of restoring information from a backup and recovering deleted messages.