In Gmail, you can select multiple emails and apply an action (like archiving) to all of them at the same time. We will show you how to select all emails and specific emails based on their status in the web version of Gmail.
There are many reasons to select multiple emails in Gmail. Maybe you want to archive all your unread emails. Or maybe you want to forward all your emails as attachments to someone.
You can select all emails in the web version of Gmail, which you can access from your Windows, Mac, Linux, or Chromebook computer. Gmail’s mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android doesn’t let you select all emails at once.
How to select all emails on screen in Gmail
One type of selection is to select all the emails displayed on a single page in Gmail.
To do this, start up first Gmail in a web browser on your computer. Log into your account if you are not already.
In the Gmail interface, from the left sidebar, select the folder where you want to select the emails. It can be any folder listed in the sidebar (including “Inbox”, “Deferred”, “Sent” and “Spam”).
Emails from the selected folder will be displayed to the right of the folder list. From the toolbar at the top of these emails, select the “Select” option (a square icon). This is the first icon on the toolbar.
Gmail will select all the emails displayed on the current page. At the top of these emails, you will see a message that says “All X conversations on this page are selected”, where “X” is the number of selected emails.
And that’s how you select all your emails on the screen in Gmail!
To select multiple emails, change an option in your Gmail settings so that it displays multiple emails on one page. To do this, in the upper right corner of the Gmail site, select the “Settings” option (gear icon).
In the “Settings” menu, from the “Quick settings” section, choose “View all settings”.
On the “General” tab, click the “Maximum page size” drop-down menu. Then choose the number of emails that Gmail should display on a single page. You can choose 10, 15, 20, 25, 50 or 100.
After making a selection, scroll down the ‘General’ tab page and click ‘Save Changes’.
Gmail now shows the selected number of emails on a single page. To select all these emails on the screen, use the same “Select” option you used above.
How to select all emails in Gmail
Gmail also allows you to select all of your emails and not just those displayed on a single page.
To make this selection, from the left sidebar of the Gmail site, select the folder where you want to select all emails.
At the top of the email list, from the toolbar, select the “Select” option (a square icon).
Gmail will select all your emails on the screen. To select emails that are not displayed on the current page, from the top of the email list, click the “Select all X conversations in folder” option (where “X” is the number of emails in the folder selected).
And this is all. Gmail will display a message saying “All X conversations in the folder are selected”, which confirms that all the emails in the chosen folder have been selected.
How to select emails based on their status in Gmail
With Gmail’s advanced selection feature, you can select emails that have a certain status. For example, you can select all unread or read emails in your account.
To use this feature, launch Gmail and choose the folder where you want to select the emails.
At the top of the email list, right next to the “Select” option, click the down arrow icon.
You will see more options to select your emails. Choose an option from these:
- All : Select all emails displayed in the current folder.
- Nobody : deselect all selected emails in the current folder.
- Laws : select only read emails.
- Unread : select unread emails.
- Specials : Select the emails you have assigned a star to.
- Not special – Select all emails that you have not assigned a star to.
And Gmail will only select the type of email you choose!
What can you do with the selected emails?
After selecting the emails in your Gmail account, you can apply various actions to them. These actions are available at the top of the email message list.
The available actions are:
- Archive : use this option to archive all selected emails.
- Report as spam – Mark selected emails as spam.
- Delete : delete the selected emails.
- Mark as unread : Choose this option to mark selected emails as unread.
- Postpone : select this option to snooze your emails.
- Add to activities – Create a task for the emails selected in Google Tasks.
- Move to : Choose this option to move the selected emails to a folder.
- Labels – Use this option to apply a label to the selected emails.
Next to the “Labels” option, there are three points you can click on to open the “More” menu. This menu has more actions you can perform on your emails:
- Mark as read : mark selected emails as read.
- Mark as unread : Mark selected emails as unread.
- Mark as important : Mark selected emails as important.
- Mark as unimportant : Mark selected emails as unimportant.
- Add star : assign a star to the selected emails.
- Filter messages like these – Finds emails similar to the ones you selected.
- Turn off sound – Use this option to mute selected emails. This way, Gmail won’t notify you about replies to selected email threads.
- Forward as an attachment : Forward selected emails as an .eml attachment file.
And that’s how you do a bulk or curated selection in your Gmail account. Feel free to use these methods to select the type of email you want!