Android owners love to say that their phones are more customizable than the iPhone, and they’re often right. This is a great example: except for a fairly limited trick involving Live Photos, you can’t turn videos into your iPhone wallpaper, but it’s easy to do on Android using any number of free apps.
Some Samsung phones also have the built-in feature. Keep in mind, however, that the reason this isn’t done by default is that running videos continuously on the Home screen will drain your phone’s battery faster each day.
How to set a video as wallpaper on most Android
If you want to set a video as your Android phone wallpaper, you need to download an app from the Google Play Store. There are a handful of apps that can do this: to see a list, search for “video wallpaper” in the Google Play Store. For this article, we will be using Video Live Wallpaper. It is a free, reliable and safe app that can turn wallpaper into video in seconds.
1. If you haven’t already, download Video Live Wallpaper from the Google Play Store.
2. Launch Video Live Wallpaper and tap “Choose Video” from the main screen.
3. From the list of videos stored in your gallery, select the video you want to use.
4. Use the control at the bottom of the screen to select the part of the video you want to make the background. You can drag the start and end points and use the “Play” button to preview them.
5. Tap the “Preview” button at the top right of the screen – it looks like a small square image.
6. If the aspect ratio is not correct, tap the “Settings” icon at the top right of the screen and tap “Scale to Fit”. Then go back to the preview by tapping the “Preview” icon at the top right.
7. Finally, if you are satisfied, tap “Set wallpaper” at the bottom of the screen. In the pop-up, choose whether you want to set the video as wallpaper on the Home screen only or the Home screen and lock screen.
How to set a video as wallpaper on Samsung Galaxy phones
Samsung allows you to set a video as wallpaper without downloading any apps, but it only works on the lock screen.
1. Launch the Gallery app and choose a video you want to use as wallpaper.
2. Tap the three-dot icon at the top right of the screen.
3. In the drop-down menu, tap “Set as wallpaper”.
4. You are limited to 15-second videos. If it’s too long, you’ll see a message telling you to trim the video. Tap the scissor-shaped “Edit” button in the center of the screen.
5. Drag the video edit box until you’ve selected the section of the video you want to use, then tap “Done”. The app will create a new, shorter copy of the video and store it in your gallery.
6. Tap “Set up on lock screen”.