Google Home is a smart speaker that you can interact with via voice commands, and the bundled Google Home app is like a remote control for smart home devices.
The app allows you to set up, manage and control not only Google Home and similar devices, but also smart home products like lights, cameras, and even your thermostat. Here’s what you need to know.
How to set up a Google Home account on the Google Home app
1. Download the Google Home app on your Android or iOS device.
2. Open the Google Home app. If this is your first time using the app, watch the short video (optional), then tap Get Started.
3. Confirm the Google account you want to use with the Google Home app by selecting it, then tap OK. If you don’t already have a Google account, you can create one by tapping Use another account and selecting Create account on the next page.
4. On the Create a home page, tap Get started. On the next page, tap New Devices to set up a new device or Work with Google to connect an existing device or service.
5. On the Choose a home page, tap Create another home, then tap Next. Choose a nickname to identify the house, then enter the address on the next page. The Google Home app will then search for devices to connect to.
How to set up a Google Home device on the app
1. Connect your Google Home device. When you hear a sound, you know it’s on.
2. Open the Google Home app and tap the plus icon in the top left.
3. Choose Configure Device from the Add & Manage menu.
4. Tap the New Devices option to start linking your Google Home to the app.
5. You will be asked to choose a home to connect your Google Home device to. Select an existing Home profile or create a new one, then tap Next.
6. The Google Home app will start searching for devices. Once your Google Home device is identified, tap Next.
7. When the connection is complete, the Google Home app will ask you to confirm the connection by playing a sound on the Google Home speaker. Tap Yes if you hear the sound or Retry if you don’t hear it.
8. You may be asked to accept the legal terms. If they appear, click Agree or No Thanks.
9. You may be asked to join to improve your device experience by sharing device stats and crash reports with Google. Choose No thanks or Yes, I’m in.
10. Choose which room the device is in to name and organize your Google Home speaker within the Google Home app. Then tap Next.
11. Select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect your speaker to. Then tap Next.
How to set up the Google Assistant
1. Once the Google Home device and the Google Home app are connected, you will be asked to set up the Google Assistant, the artificial intelligence assistant for Google products. After reading the relevant agreement, tap Next.
2. Tap Agree to activate Voice Match, which teaches the assistant to recognize your voice. Follow the onscreen instructions to set it up.
3. Enable personal results to have your Google Home speaker read or show results specific to you, such as with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Photos, YouTube playlists, recipes, and more.
4. You will then be asked to choose a default music service and connect to music and media services such as Spotify and Netflix. If you choose to link them, you will need to sign in and connect them to your Google Home app. When done, tap Next.
5. After choosing whether or not to receive emails on your device and adding optional details on the review page, tap Next to complete the setup.