A colleague told this story: “This weekend my wife told me, ‘Google says I’m almost out of storage!’ and I thought ‘We have 2TB with Google One, that’s not possible!’ ”What was the problem? Well, just because you’ve established family sharing with your Google account, you don’t automatically start sharing your additional storage from Google One. You have to turn it on.
First, the basics: Google One is essentially the paid version of Google Drive. It gives you additional storage (on top of the free 15GB) to use in Drive, Gmail, and Photos, and lets you share that storage with up to five family members. The plans start 100GB for $ 1.99 per month or $ 19.99 per year. If that’s not enough, you can go up to 2TB for $ 9.99 per month / $ 99.99 per year, or if you have really a lot of stuff to store, plans go up to 30TB for $ 149.99 per month.
(If you still have a free Google account and don’t want to switch yet, you can head over to the Google One page to take advantage of a tool that could help you free up additional storage, though you’ll have to withstand the strain of buying into Google One.)
If you want to share your storage, you must first create a shared family group. That’s how:
- Go to family plan page Google and click “Get started”.
- You can invite up to five family members as long as they have Google accounts. There will be a few suggestions listed, but you can type in a name (if they’re in your contact list) or an email. You can also skip this step for now if you wish.
- The person you invited will receive an email and you will receive an email when they accept the invitation. The invitation will expire in two weeks.
After setting up your family account, you can set up your shared storage:
- In your Google One account, click the settings icon on the left side.
- Search for “Share Google One with family” in the “Manage family settings” drop-down menu and turn it on.
Now your family members can share the availability of storage space with you. This means that once they run out of the free 15GB, they will have access to the additional storage provided by your account – that not it means you have access to their files, unless they share them directly with you.
If you want to see how much storage each family member is using, go to your Google One account, click “Storage” on the left side and select the down arrow next to “Family Storage”.