Slack is a business collaboration program used to send instant messages to team members and therefore is used extensively as a company chat.
However fast as Slack can be, it can also get overwhelming. If you are a member of too many channels, you may find that Slack is constantly sending you new notifications without interruption. It won’t take long for the sweet Slack notification jingle to become a nuisance.
If so, we recommend that you use Slack’s “Do Not Disturb” feature, which allows you to snooze notifications for a set amount of time. While notifications are delayed, you will not receive any alerts for new messages, even if they are addressed specifically to you.
Here’s how to snooze and snooze notifications on Slack, using the desktop app for Mac and PC or the mobile app for iPhone and Android devices.
How to silence Slack notifications on the desktop
1. Launch the Slack app on Mac and PC and click on the bell icon located at the top left, next to the workspace name.
2. Choose how long to snooze notifications. You can choose from half an hour to a full week or click “Custom” to go even longer.
3. You can also click “Do Not Disturb” to specify a specific time each day to snooze notifications. This is great for automatically turning off notifications when you leave the office.
Your notifications are now delayed. To cancel them:
4. Open the Slack app again and click the bell icon.
5. Click “Resume Notifications Now”.
How to snooze and cancel Slack notifications in the mobile app
The snoozing bell is somehow hidden in the mobile app.
1. Launch the Slack app on your iPhone or Android device and open any channel.
2. Swipe left or tap the three dots in the top right corner to open a side menu with a list of options.
3. Select “Do Not Disturb”.
4. You will be presented with a list of set times. Choose how long to snooze notifications or tap “Custom” to set your repeat time.
When you are ready to cancel the notification pause, open this menu again and tap “Disable”.