Skype was one of the first popular video chat services to be launched in 2003. Since then, it has facilitated countless conversations between people around the world.
However, when you have people from many nations conversing, there can definitely be language barriers.
Fortunately, Skype has a translation tool that allows you to make chats, calls and video calls using voice and written translations on the screen.
Here’s how to turn it on.
How to use Skype Translator on your computer
1. You open the Skype app on your Mac or PC.
2. Open “Chat”.
3. Right-click the contact you want to translate conversations with. Select “View Profile”.
4. Select “Send Translation Request”.
Once the other person accepts your translation request, your messages and calls will be translated automatically.
During the conversation, Skype will display your translated messages.
How to use Skype Translator on your mobile device
1. Open the Skype app on your iPhone or Android.
2. Tap the Account icon to view a summary of your account options.
3. Tap “Settings”.
4. Tap “General”.
5. Tap “Translation Settings”.
6. Tap “Spoken language”.
7. Select your chosen language.
8. Tap the contact you want to have a translated conversation with.
9. Scroll down to “Translate Conversation” and click “Send Translation Request”.
10. The contact will receive an alert that they have requested a translated conversation. They will have to click “Accept” to start it.
11. After accepting, the message “Translations enabled” will be displayed under “Translate conversation”.
When they say something in their language, a voice will pronounce it on Skype in the chosen language and a transcript will also show it in the chosen language.