If keyboard clicks on your iPhone (or iPad) are bothering you (and everyone else on the train), you probably want to know how to turn them off. We show you how to turn off keyboard click sounds on your iPhone
By default, the keyboard on the iPhone (and iPad) makes a click every time you press a key. If you find iOS keyboard clicks annoying, you are not alone. Fortunately, you can turn them off. In this guide, we show you how to turn off iPhone and iPad keyboard noises.
There are actually three ways to mute iOS keyboard, read on to find out how!
How to disable keyboard clicks using the mute button
The easiest way to quickly mute keyboard clicks on your iPhone or iPad is to use the Mute slider on the side of the device.
The mute button is the rocker switch located on the left side of the iPhone, just above the volume controls.
- If you want your iPhone to make noises, pull the mute button forward.
- Push it backwards if you want the iPhone to be silent.
- You can tell if your iPhone is muted because an image, like this one, will appear showing you that the ringtone is silent.
Using the iPhone’s Mute switch is the easiest and fastest way to stop keyboard noises; unfortunately it is not a perfect solution.
The Mute switch eliminates all the sounds from your iPhone, including music you may play, game audio, and ringtone alerts. So if you do, you’ll need to turn the Mute slider back on when you’re done with the keyboard.
This technique also works with some iPads… more or less. Most iPads have a mute switch, like the iPhone (located on the right side, above the volume buttons), but this switch actually performs two functions: the user sets it to mute and unmute the volume or lock and unlock the screen orientation (i.e. stop rotating the screen when you turn on the device).
If your iPad’s switch is set to lock / unlock screen orientation, you will need to do the following:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Under “USE SIDE SWITCH FOR:”, select Disable.
You may want to use the mute button if you are taking screenshots on the train or people may think you are photographing them …
How to disable keyboard clicks using the volume controls
By default, the keyboard click noise is linked to the rest of the iOS device’s volume settings. So you can turn off the keyboard click noise on an iPhone or iPad by simply turning the volume down. Here’s how to do it:
- Touch and hold the Volume Down setting.
- Alternatively, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the Control Center and use the volume slider. Slide it down to set the volume to silent. (If you’re using an iPhone X, here’s how to access Control Center.)
While this technique works on both the iPad and the iPhone, it reduces and mutes the other audio on the device as well. So you won’t be able to listen to music or audio from the app.
How to disable keyboard clicks using Settings
The best way to turn off keyboard clicks on an iPhone or iPad is to use the Audio options in Settings. Here’s how to disable keyboard clicks in Settings:
- Tap Settings> Sounds & Haptics.
- Scroll down to view keyboard clicks.
- Set Keyboard Click to Off.
Using the options in the Sounds area of the Settings you can disable keyboard clicks on your iOS device, but still hear other audio such as music and app sounds.