LinkedIn can be a useful tool for getting your name out there and in front of the right hiring managers. It can also help when it comes to applying directly for jobs, especially the thousands featured on the site.
To take full advantage of these features, it’s a good idea to upload a resume to your profile. Here is what you will need to do.
Add your resume to LinkedIn
If you don’t have a resume ready, you can use LinkedIn’s download feature, which takes all the information you’ve included in your profile and converts it into a PDF resume.
However, the downloaded resume is likely not as aesthetically pleasing as a resume you have created yourself and will likely be longer than you want. So, uploading a custom resume to your profile allows you to tailor your employment information to better suit the job you’re applying for so you stand out the right way. The same is true when applying for a job.
How to upload a resume to your LinkedIn profile
1. Go to LinkedIn website and log into your account if necessary.
2. Click on the tab the in the toolbar at the top under your profile photo.
3. You choose View profile from the drop-down menu that appears.
4. Scroll down to the section In the foreground and click the link Add featured if you haven’t uploaded anything in the section. If you did, click plus icon + at the top right of the box, to the left of the pencil icon.
If you don’t see the Featured section, it might be disabled. If so, scroll to the top of your profile and select Add section so In the foreground followed by Average . You can then proceed to step n. 6 of this guide.
5. Otherwise, if you have the Featured section and clicked Add featured or plus icon + in the drop-down menu that appears, select Average .
6. In the file upload window that appears, locate the resume document you want to upload. Click and select You open .
7. A preview of the document will appear, as will boxes to give your resume a Title it’s a Description . Only the title .
8. After filling in the title and description, do click up Save .
How to upload a resume to LinkedIn when applying for a job
1. Once you’ve found a job you want to apply for, click or tap the job title to view the details.
2. Click or tap the button Simple application .
Important: for it to work, you have to choose Easy Apply not Apply . If not, you will be directed to the hiring company’s job application portal. And your resume must be less than 2MB and be formatted in Word or PDF.
3. Add the required information and in Resume to select Upload resume .
4. Choose the desired file from the pop-up window and click You open .
5. To select After you and continue with the application until you reach the page Revise .
6. You choose Send request when six ready.