Despite all the capabilities of an Apple Watch, the Bitten Apple Watch isn’t very good at playing video.
There is no YouTube app for the watch, for example, and for the most part you can’t watch videos on your wrist. But there is one significant exception: you can play embedded videos in SMS and iMessage.
Here’s how to do it.
How to watch videos on an Apple Watch
1. To watch a video on your Apple Watch, it must be a video file embedded in a text message (SMS or iMessage). It cannot be a link (like a YouTube URL) and can only be sent via a message. You can get a message from someone else or you can send a video in a text message to yourself from your iPhone.
2. When you get the message, tap the video thumbnail. Playback of the video should begin.
3. Tap the screen to pause the video. Tap again to resume playback.
4. You can adjust the volume with the Digital Crown.
5. When you are done, tap “Done”.
You can go back to the message in the Messages app to watch the video again later.
Unfortunately, you can’t play videos from a link on your Apple Watch. If you try, you will generally get a message saying that your browser does not currently recognize the video file.