OptiFine is a versatile program that many “Minecraft” players cannot imagine doing without, particularly when playing on a less capable computer. It is an optimizer of “Minecraft: Java Edition”which allows computers with less memory and less powerful graphics cards to run the game more smoothly.
OptiFine also gives you access to tons of new HD texture and shader packs to make your game the best it can be, as well as some useful new game mechanics, including the famous “OptiFine. “
It is different from mods in the way it is installed and works, but it is similar in that it changes the look and feel of the game.
Here are two ways to install and use OptiFine, depending on whether you want to use it with other mods or not.
How to install and run OptiFine in “Minecraft” without mod mod
1. In a web browser of your choice, go to OptiFine download page. If you are not using the latest version of “Minecraft”, click “Show all versions” to find and select your version.
2. Click “Download” next to the desired OptiFine version. Click “Skip” in the upper right corner after a short countdown if you are directed to an ad break page.
3. Click “Download” when redirected to the OptiFine download and save it wherever you can find it. You may see a browser and / or computer download warning, which you can safely ignore.
4. Navigate to the downloaded OptiFine file, which will be an executable .jar file. Double-click the file to open the installer and click “Install”. You should then see a message saying that OptiFine has been successfully installed.
5. Open your Minecraft Launcher and in the drop-down menu to the left of the “Play” button, make sure “OptiFine” is selected. Once done, click “Play”.
6. When “Minecraft” loads, select “Options…” from the main menu, then “Video Settings”. You will know that the OptiFine download was successful if you see additional options such as “Shader”, “Details” and “Animations”.
How to install and run OptiFine to work with “Minecraft” mods ”
1. Follow the first three steps to download OptiFine as shown above. If you haven’t already, download Minecraft Forge as well. You can follow our guide here.
2. Open the Minecraft Launcher app.
3. In the drop-down menu next to the green play button, select “forge”, then click “Play” to start.
4. You will see the “Mods” option in the main Minecraft menu. Click on it, then select “Open mod folder”. Java will automatically open the mods folder created by Forge.
5. Drag and drop the OptiFine .jar file you downloaded into this mod folder.
6. Close “Minecraft” and restart it, running the Forge installation version again. This time on the loading screen, you should see the message “Found 2 modfiles to load”, indicating that OptiFine has been incorporated into Forge.
7. You can check that it has been installed correctly in the same way as before: by going to the main menu and selecting “Options…” and then “Video settings”. If there are additional options such as “Shader”, “Details” and “Animations”, OptiFine is installed.
How to start using OptiFine
OptiFine adds a lot of new options and settings to your game, so it can be a bit confusing to get in right away. Here are some of the basic features, explained.