TikTok shared a handful of new features Thursday, including the option to use GIFs within its green screen effect. This means that you can virtually project a GIF, instead of a simple still image, behind you while shooting a video.
Other updates include a visual enhancement tool to improve exposure and incorporate color correction, higher quality uploads, and new animal music and vocal effects.
The green screen effect of the app is incredibly popular. The creators used it to create the scene for various videos by uploading images of different places, people and environments. This can make skits a little more realistic or add layers to a line. Now users can also add moving images, or GIFs, behind them to level up their creations.
Here’s how to add GIFs via TikTok’s green screen effect:
- Open the TikTok app and click plus icon (+) at the bottom of the screen to create a new video.
- At the bottom left of the screen, you’ll see a button that says Effects . Click on that.
- Go to the card Trends and select the green screen effect. It looks like an image of hills and a sun on a green background, with a white downward arrow below. (If you don’t see it there, go to the tab Green screen and you will find it.)
- When you tap on the green screen effect, you’ll see a bar with a plus sign to the left, a GIPHY icon, and images from your gallery appear. Click on the icon GIPHY .
- You will now be able to search for GIFs within GIPHY to add to the green screen of your video.
TikTok’s other updates are also designed to improve user creations, such as the new visual enhancement button, which improves the look of your videos by correcting any lighting or color issues. To try it out, record or upload a video to TikTok and tap the button Gets better in the right panel of the screen. Click again to cancel the effect.
Another new feature allows you to play any sound or voice in a video such as an animal or musical instrument, such as the meow of a cat or the flute of a flute. To use the feature, record your video and, on the edit page, tap Vocal effects from the right panel. Then you can choose the desired effect.
Finally, TikTokers in “selected countries” can now upload videos in 1080p. To do this, record or upload your video to TikTok and, on the publish page, press Other options . Tap the Upload HD switch to post higher quality content.