What happens if the iPhone falls into the water or gets wet? Or if we get a warning on the cell phone screen that there is liquid in the Lightning port when we are about to charge the cell phone?
Water and technology have never been good friends. With the growing importance of smartphones, manufacturers have begun to apply elements to meet IP68 standards. But not all mobile phones are water resistant and not all iPhones are able to save themselves from the presence of internal liquid.
So it all depends on the modelbecause the iPhone 7, namely XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are resistant to water, splashes and dust, and according to Apple ” have been tested under controlled laboratory conditions “.
The waterproofness of the various iPhone models
The iPhone and iPhone XS XS Max are rated IP68 by the IEC 60529 standard (maximum depth of 2 meters for a maximum of 30 minutes). The iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are rated IP67 according to the IEC 60529 standard (maximum depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes).
There resistance to splashes, water and dust is not permanent and may decrease following regular use. The warranty does not cover liquid damage. The iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR are resistant to common accidental spills such as soda, beer, coffee, tea and fruit juices. In the event of a spill, wash the affected area with tap water, then clean and dry your iPhone.
What to do if the iPhone gets wet or falls into the water
- If a liquid other than water splashes on the iPhone, rinse the affected area with tap water .
- Then clean your iPhone with a soft, lint-free cloth, such as a lens cloth.
- Check that the iPhone is dry before opening the SIM tray.
How to dry a wet iPhone
– Gently tap your hand with the Lightning connector facing down to remove the liquid
– Leave the iPhone in a dry place where there is power. By directing fresh air directly to the Lightning connector with a fan, you will help your iPhone dry faster.
– Do not dry the iPhone with an external heat source or insert foreign objects such as a cotton ball or paper towel, into the Lightning connector.
– Don’t put the iPhone in a rice bag. Although it is a recommended trick for drying a wet electronic device, according to Apple ” the small rice particles could damage the iPhone “.
How to charge a wet iPhone
If the iPhone has been exposed to liquid, disconnect all cables and do not charge the device until it is completely dry. Wait at least 5 hours to charge your iPhone with a Lightning connector cable or connect it to a Lightning accessory. To charge your iPhone wirelessly, use a clean, lint-free cloth, such as a lens cloth. Make sure the iPhone is dry before placing it on a compatible wireless charging pad.
Finally, check for water on the microphone or speaker: Place the iPhone with the speaker facing down on a lint-free cloth to see if the water comes out. If water enters the port, it may degrade the performance of the speaker or microphone until it evaporates completely. Dry the iPhone by following the instructions above.